Affordable Care Act enrollment nears 300,000 in Michigan, surpasses 2014 total

More Michiganders have signed up for insurance under the Affordable Care Act so far this enrollment period than in all of 2014.

As of Jan 16, 299,750 plans have been chosen by Michigan residents since Nov. 17. That’s about 8 percent more than the total number of Michiganders who enrolled in 2014.

“We know that 81 percent of folks in Michigan who obtained coverage last year have come back on site and got coverage for $100 or less” per month after any applicable tax credits are applied, Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell said during a call with reporters on Tuesday. “That’s affordability for the individual.”

Of those who have signed up in Michigan, 33 percent did so for the first time, Burwell said. The remaining 67 percent were reenrolled. Of all the enrollees, 88 percent have received financial assistance.

Open enrollment in the marketplace ends Feb. 15. This will be the first time that many people will see tax penalties if they do not sign up for insurance. Federal and Detroit health care officials urged uninsured Michigan residents to sign up for health care through the Affordable Care Act before the deadline.  Read More

Advertisements